Helpful Links

Prices effective July 10, 2023 and are subject to change without notice.

Here are some places on the internet that we would like to share with you.


Why Pre-plan
Helpful guide and information to start pre-planning a funeral.


Veterans Service Office

Please note that while the Veterans Administration does not provide any payment for funeral services, there are several benefits and recognition markers that veterans may be eligible to receive. In some cases, you will need to apply to qualify.


Social Security

Social Security Administration

The Social Security Act provides for the payment of survivor’s benefits to certain relatives if they fall into one of the following categories: 

Widow(er) age 60 or older 

Widow(er) at any age caring for the deceased children under age 16 or disabled 

Widow(er) or divorced spouse age 50 or older if disabled; children up to age 18 or under age 19 if in high school full time 

Children over age 18, if they became disabled prior to age 22 

Parents of the deceased age 62 or older, if supported by the deceased 

Divorced spouse of the deceased age 60 or older married 10 years or more 

In addition to the monthly benefits, a special one-time payment of $255 can be paid to a spouse who was living with the deceased at the time of death, or if there is none, to a spouse or a child/children who is eligible for benefits. 

Within 30 days from the date of death, you should receive a letter from Social Security. This letter will provide further instruction concerning applying for entitled benefits. You can apply for benefits by phone or at any Social Security office. 

If the deceased was receiving Social Security benefits, any checks which arrive after the death must be returned. If benefit checks were being directly deposited, then the bank would also need to be notified.


Humboldt County Vital Records

A death certificate must be issued when a death occurs. Certified copies of the death certificate are legal documents issued through the county recorders/vital statistics office located in Eureka and charged for by the County of Humboldt.

This document serves to facilitate funeral arrangements and enables the resolution of various personal, financial and legal business on behalf of the deceased. As such, we highly advise that you request death certificates as soon as possible.

Because they are legal documents, it is extremely important that you provide the correct information when we prepare the original certificate. After the original death certificate has been signed by the attending physician or medical examiner and completed by the funeral home, it is filed with the State Bureau of Vital Records Office.

Certified death certificates can be issued by the county recorders office having jurisdiction in the county the death occurred. The county fee for certified copies of death certificates is $21 each. Please note:photocopies without the raised seal from the issuing clerk’s office are not accepted as legal documents.

During the funeral arrangement conference, we will ask you how many certified copies of the death certificate you will need. As part of our service, we will obtain and pay for these certified copies on your behalf. Payment for death certificates is included in the cash advance portion of your invoice. Although we try to obtain certified copies prior to the completion of the funeral service, this is not always possible, especially if that death occurs out-of-town or the cause of death is pending, awaiting post-mortem examination results. If the family needs additional certified copies, they can be obtained from the issuing county recorders office directly. The funeral home does not maintain a copy of the death certificate.

In this section


When Death Occurs

Making Arrangements

Frequent Questions

Veterans Overview

Helpful Links

© 2024 Sanders Funeral Home. All Rights Reserved. Funeral Home website by CFS & TA | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Accessibility